Established in 1906, Baxter Northup is the oldest continuously operating music store in California. Originally located in downtown Los Angeles, first at 339 South Hill St. near Angel’s Flight (see below) and then at 837 South Olive St., the store moved to Ventura Blvd. in the 1950s and has been located at is present address since 1993.
Harry Baxter was a flutist, and believed that “love for music and the desire to offer the advantages of a musical education would lead not only to the betterment of the individual, but as well to the social, civic, and moral uplift of the community.”
Harry Baxter was the proprietor of Baxter Northup from 1916 until 1941. Not much is known of Ray Northup. It is believed that he was more of a “silent partner”.